Monday, May 21, 2007

Parent Role at IEP, addendum

Last month, I discussed the airplane analogy and the role of the parent at an IEP meeting. I now have an addendum.

You consult with several liscensed, experienced pilots, and finally at least get detailed instructions on how to set the controls to land in you desired destination, or close enough. Let's say, just for fun, that the destination is Varanasi, India, because it is really a lovely place and I like it a lot, and I get to sigh as I type ("Ahhh... to be on the terrace roof of the Ganges View, sipping a Mirinda...") OK, so we're set. It isn't an easy flight, you have to completely skirt Iraq because of the war, but you have it on best authority how to do this.

However, the flight crew still refuses you entry to the cockpit to set the controls. They might glance at teh instructions you have, but I doubt it, but at least they will now set some controls- to land in Pocatello, Idaho. If you're lucky, they might want to fly you to London, England. Both of these are perfectly nice places. However, you will note that neither of them are remotely near or like Varanasi, India. They tell you all the wonders of these destinations, and how they are only required to land the plane safely at a destination that is adequate. They tell you how easy it will be to get to Varanasi, India from these places. And if you get shirty and refuse to go to Pocatello, Idaho or London, England, they just shrug and lock the cockpit door again. They might even try to call an air marshall.

Stay tuned for what happens when you bring that trained pilot with you on the flight...

3 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I love it!! Perfect timing too -- I have an IEP meeting this afternoon. Ugh! Thanks for the much needed smile.

Maddy said...

One IEP down, one to go. Already landed safely, hoping that the other one will also be closely aligned. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Best wishes

Club 166 said...

Hey, my sister used to live in Pocatello.

Nice place, but I don't think there's anyplace around to land a commercial jet.