Saturday, October 03, 2009

Overload

Ok, smack me upside the head and call me an idiot. This has been the Week That Ate Manhattan.

I currently teach five sections as an adjunct, though the max is 4. Fortunately, the number of students I have did not max out, but it is still a pain, and requires five preps. We were thinking there would only be 3 (since all three live sections are technically the same class), but they are in 3 different formats, so they require 3 different testing and lecture formats. Yikers. (Did I mention I am only being paid for the maximum 4?)

Then one of my colleagues got sick, and is out for the semester, so I took one of their classes. Now, I won't try to pretend this isn't going to be a super-fun course for me to teach- not one of my usual fields, but one I am particularly fond of- but still, that's another class of exams and assignments to grade and lectures to write, and this time on short notice. I lucked out, though- we had a copy of the lecture they were going to give next. So the crunch wasn't too bad.

Then we looked down and realized the floor in my house has no finish on it anymore.

Yep, JoeyAndyDad and I moved the furniture, scrubbed the floor, got up all the tape (why do my kids love tape?), scrubbed again, and... well, we probably should have sanded, but I am sure we'll be doing this again. We put down the polyurethane. It's drying. It's looking better now than it did when I first got it down. I now have a second coat over the worst spots, and gates up to keep the cats out. They are not amused.

While I got the windows open to ventilate (polyurethane stinks to high heaven), I painted some of the sills that desperately needed it.

And did I mention we have some new fish? Oh, and Andy has the flu?

Yes. I am insane. I have all sorts of plans for next week- mostly stuff I didn't get done this week, but had planned to. I have big plans for Christmas. And I have several stitching projects calling my name. Oh, and Joey decided he wants his room painted blue. I haven't even peeked at the garden. But I just know one of these afternoons, I will be sitting my comfortable livingroom, with a clean house, a nice fire in the fireplace, and a nearly-complete cross-stitch project in my lap. Seriously. It is going to happen. Someday.

So that's my excuse for not posting all week. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

1 comment:

kristi said...

Okay, you lost me on the classes. But I feel ya, I really do.

So many unfinished projects in my life right now. We have all been sick and I am barely scraping by in my classes.

Also I am working 6 days this week. Yippee.