Sunday, April 15, 2012

Three Minutes.

We were at the park. We've been spending a lot of time at the park lately, because going farther involves a lot of prep and anxiety, and I just haven't been able to do it alone anymore. The park is familiar, the boundaries well-set, and I can actually do a little writing or grading or whatever. You know, he wanders about doing the Joey thing, and I sit in a set place where he knows I will be, and do the Mom thing. And Andy runs about doing the Andy thing. And I do a regular headcheck. Child one, child two. Child one, child two.

Today, I looked up doing my headcount, and three boys who looked alike (must be brothers or cousins) were headed straight for me. This is never a good sign; and sure enough, they complained that Joey was cussing at them. Joey's explanation was that they were "being mean" and "ignoring me." So we had a little talk about how some people are not interested in being friends, and we should just leave them alone. Then we talked about not using bad words, and that we had been having this discussion all week, so it was time for him to be suspended from the Wii for the evening. Then he bounced off with instructions to tell his brother we were leaving in ten minutes.

And I finished up reading the paper I was grading, about three minutes, and looked up for a head check. Child one....

No child two.

I gathered my things and headed over to Andy, asked him if he could see Joey. After a brief look about, the answer was no. He ran up the hill. No Joey. The park realized I was looking for Joey, and I started getting reports. He had gone up the hill. He had been seen on one road. He had been seen on the other road. He certainly was not here.

Andy ran ahead to check the car, the other adults spread out in a search; and I called JoeyAndyDad to get him on the move. We agreed for me to jump in the van with Andy and start along the familiar path home.

In another minute, I had the call from JoeyAndyDad- Joey was found... he had made it about 4 blocks, 2/3 the way home. He must have run part of the way, and started out as soon as I released him to find his brother.

My world just contracted a little more.

4 comments:

Stimey said...

I'm so sorry. I do that head count as well...child one, child two, child three...child two again.

It is so scary to lose one of them. I'm so sorry to watch your world contract. I wish I could help.

farmwifetwo said...

I put my youngest in the OPP system a couple of years ago, just incase he vanished from school etc.

Glad he was safe and you found him quickly. How to get it stopped... I have no answers except hopefully when he gets older he won't need to run.

Bullet said...

That must have been extremely worrying for all of you. Jacob likes to run off in the supermarket and a couple of times he has vanished from sight.
Thomas doesn't run off, but he does get very agitated and upset and overwhelmed at things, which can manifest itself either by giggling and leaping about, slamming into you, shouting, screaming, crying or using echolalia. We use distraction, moving to a quieter area, getting him to count to 100 in his head and telling him what we are going to do next.

Niksmom said...

I just want to reach through my computer and give you a big hug and a cocktail. Or clone myself to come help you at the park. I hate, hate, hate that your world feels like it is contracting. Sending prayers that this was not the start of new challenges for your sweet boy. Much love.