Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Disappointed. But not surprised.

If you haven't heard yet, Ann Coulter pulled out the r-word. I don't understand why people who make their living being in the public eye can't watch their mouths. Or perhaps Ms. Coulter wanted to call out every special needs person and parent in the country and insult them. Perhaps put them on show. You know, the whole "who is the 47%?" thing, the people Mr. Romney doesn't think it is his job to care about.

I'm disappointed. I wish I could say I was surprised, but I can't. See, I've also been following the posts of my politically-minded friends online, on a variety of forums. And unfortunately, this attitude is not uncommon, especially in certain kinds of political circles. With the brief discussion of education in the debate last night, they came out in force, cracking jokes about special education and the students who are in special education environments- especially in self-contained environments, not that inclusion and mainstream environments were left to be sacred, either. Friends who posted how they were in the "advanced" class, because "there were no paste eaters", or were in the class with "window lickers." Jokes about the "kids on the short bus." Jokes about kids who walked differently, talked differently...

And who fits this description?


I started to reply to some of those friends, but I realized I was just opening up my beautiful son- who can run circles around his classmates in math and spelling- to more abuse, more ridicule, more hate, and more plain meanness, as was laid bare in these comments by my friends and friends of my friends.

And by Ann Coulter.


Join the Blog Hop on this topic. A lot of people are saying important things. Mostly, "I love my family. Quit dissing it."

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Very well said!

Kim Wombles said...

Post the entirety of this on facebook. And if these friends are truly friends, they'll understand the damage their words did and apologize. If they don't, are they worth having as friends?

Unknown said...

Beautifully said!
(found you via I'm just that way link up)

ParkerMama said...

Great post!

http://www.prayingforparker.com/ann-coulter-and-the-difference-she-could-have-made/

JoeyAndyDad said...

Sadly, putting down those with differences is bipartisan, Google "Obama Special Olympics" for more.

Joeymom said...

At least Obama apologized, and stopped doing it.