Friday, February 08, 2013

Go In With Solutions: Part 2

Yes, it's February- and time to start thinking about Joey's IEP for next year. Ive been thinking about what I think Joey needs, listening to Joey and his difficulties, and considering what he should be learning and doing. I've been thinking about the models that have worked for him, and what key components made those models work. Then I've been thinking about why he needs these models, and goals, and supports. I've been thinking about what we've seen, what progress we've made, what regression we've seen, and why we have been both successful and... not so much.

Most of all, I've been thinking about Joey's stress.

I think most people understand that too much stress breaks down anybody's ability to function, including learning. If we don't address the stress, anything else we do will fall apart. That's the first and foremost reason for almost everything I can think about for Joey's IEP: a setting that reduces stress. A learning model that minimizes stress. Social skills programming to include coping with stress. Accommodations to eliminate stress.

And this time, not only do I have to get it right, but I have to put my foot down. No budging. We've been through the ringer, and we are out of time for fooling around. We have the data. We know what works. Now, we just need to spell it out- clearly, concisely, and completely.

How many times have I told my students to do that?

1 comment:

farmwifetwo said...

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/extra/eng/ppm/140.html When my kid was in Gr 3, the gov't passed this PPM. In Gr 4, it was put into his IEP. Social, communication, behaviour and transitions all of a sudden got dealt with. There has never been any academics on his IEP.

My son has severe claustrophobia. Without the Adderall and Strattera his anxiety and hypersensitivity are unbearable for him and us. Puberty has been hard on my eldest.

But finally, with this legislation and the school realizing that it wasn't a huge amount of work but the gains were extrordinary in the classroom - he's still high maintenace at home - they are 150% on his side. These last 2yrs we have fully become a team and I truly believe that even with all the Union crap that's going on has to do with the admin and the Teacher (he has last years and is in a split for the first time since Gr 3).

Team work... huge.

Anxiety... impossible to cope, learn, function.

They have to learn to deal with it. Mine has a locker beside the classroom door. Mine has a cubicle when he wants to get away from his desk - more elbow room - claustrophobia. Mine can finish his homework in the library. Mine has headphones for when it's too loud. Mine is always first in line - claustrophobia - and carries something - sensory. Social skills - token system - working on issues that I'm also having at home.

Little things, but together have made a huge difference to his success at school.